Let’s follow the journey of Frederick Douglass as he lectured on the anti-slavery circuit in Scotland in 1843. On this adventure we will visit the places where he spoke from big cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow to his sightseeing trips to Scottish castles and country houses.
This adventure tour is part of my Daydream Black History Tours around the around the world. They combine the best of adventure, travel and history – all from our unique Black perspective. The trips are a daydream right now. Let’s see if we can turn them into reality.
Frederick Douglass became a superstar in Scotland. His lectures and his books were sold out in each city. Douglass even considered permanently living in the country, as for the first time in his life, he was treated as a man and not as a slave.
The tour will be fun and historic. There will be plenty of stops for lunches at pubs, walking tours, shopping and boat tours.
- Get to know Scotland’s Black History by following the footsteps of Frederick Douglass.
- Visit the major cities in Scotland such as Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee.
- Boat and walking tours in the cities.
- Hadrian’s Wall and the African troops who guarded it.
- Visit castles, country houses, museums, pubs and art galleries – all with a connection to Black History.
- Day 1 – Arrive in Edinburgh
- Day 2 – Edinburgh, the castles and the Black musicians at the Royal Courts from the 1400s.
- Day 3 – Glasgow, tour the 1800s homes and estates of the tobacco barons.
- Day 4 – Dundee, visits to the art gallery, museums and pubs.
- Day 5 – Aberdeen, tour the castle, maritime museum and local pubs.
- Day 6 – Inverness, see the castle, canal and Scottish highlands.
- Day 7 – Return to Edinburgh
- Day 8 – Hadrian’s Wall, walk in the footsteps of the African legion that guarded this edge of the Roman Empire.
- Day 9 – Edinburgh, visits to a country house, distillery and shopping.
- Day 10 – Depart from Edinburgh.
- 10 day land tour.
- Minimum 4 and maximum 16 participants.
- All meals and accommodation included.
- Start and end in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Comfort level – road trip on modern roads.
- Accommodation – comfortable hotels.
- Departure – spring.
Who wants to come with me on this Daydream Black History Tours? Let’s see if we can make it real.