The other side of Jamaica includes forests, mountains and limestone valleys. There is more to Jamaica than just miles of white sandy beaches. On this adventure tour we will hike the only UNESCO World Heritage Site on the island – the Blue and John Crow Mountains. We will watch the sunrise from the peak (2,300 m or 7,500 ft.).
This adventure tour is part of my Daydream Black History Tours around the around the world. They combine the best of adventure, travel and history – all from our unique Black perspective. The trips are a daydream right now. Let’s see if we can turn them into reality.
On the Jamaica tour we will also hike in the footsteps of the Maroons. The escaped slaves hid in their stronghold in the Cockpit Country. We will follow them into the challenging karst limestone hills and valleys.
In between hikes, there will time to relax on the beach, go on a river safari in the mangrove swamps, and to explore the museums and art galleries in Kingston, the island’s capital.
- Hiking the forests of the Blue Mountains.
- Hiking the limestone hills and valley of the Cockpit Country.
- Boat safari on the Black River to see the crocodiles in the mangrove swamps. Beach.
- Explore the culture and history of Kingston.
Day 1 – Arrive in Montego Bay
Day 2 – Troy Trail hike
Day 3 – Quick Step Trail hike
Day 4 – Quick Step Trail hike
Day 5 – Black River safari and beach
Day 6 – Kingston culture tour (museum, plantation Great House, art gallery, Emancipation Park)
Day 7 – Blue Mountains hike
Day 8 – Blue Mountains Peak sun rise hike
Day 9 – Kingston culture tour and return to Montego Bay
Day 10 – Depart from Montego Bay
- 10 day land tour.
- Minimum 4 and maximum 16 participants.
- All meals and accommodation included.
- All hikes lead by experienced and certified local guides.
- Start and end in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
- Comfort level – must be able to hike for about six hours each day.
- Accommodation – comfortable hotels, guest house and lodge.
- Departure – August 2018.
Who wants to come with me on this daydream trip? Let’s see if we can make it real.